Most of our customers see the benefit of having checklists in SAP to support their inspection and maintenance process. There are different ways how these checklists can be set up in SAP, all with their pro’s and con’s. But the real challenge starts before you come to that point, when you try to fit all the puzzle pieces together.
It is a general question when it comes to software - should you buy an off-the-shelf solution or do custom build your own?
Both approaches have their pro’s and con’s. We will discuss them here in the context of mobile solutions for SAP Plant Maintenance/Customer Service and will present you a third option, which combines the best of both worlds.
Since 2002 SAP has released a number of mobile apps for their enterprise asset management modules PM/CS. This blog will give a quick overview
In a maintenance and customer service process, there are obvious domains to utilize checklists in order to fulfill the following purpose:
- Standardize maintenance checks based on predefined steps in order to ensure consistency and quality. As an example, we can examine a car inspection scenario which could consist of steps like:
- Check wheels
- Check engine
- Check gears
- Capture condition of equipments
- Qualitative: e.g. general condition like “good” or “bad”
- Quantitative e.g. air pressure, operating hours or temperature
- Capture standardized error codes and causes like “outworn”, “overheated” or “leaking” for further analysis